Saturday 21 February 2009

A Possible Fix if Your Homepage Keeps Resetting

I was recently presented with a problem by my in-laws. Their browser's homepage kept on resetting to MSN every time they restarted. Although a reasonable homepage to have, they prefer to just have the google.co.uk front page.
The specific page that the browser would reset to was - http://uk.msn.com/?ocid=iehp. I thought the same as you, just go into options -> properties and reset the homepage. Nope. Every time the browser restarted, back to good 'ole MSN.
So what is the solution? Well, after much googling for various things, I found an obscure reference to my dilemma on a forum (can't remember which, sorry). It turns out that some spyware and antivirus programs (in this case Norton) have 'homepage protection'. This setting locks anything from hijacking your browser homepage for their own nefarious purposes. It also means that once a homepage is set, it will continue to default back to that upon a browser reload.
So there you have it. Turn off your homepage protection, and return it to the correct homepage. I don't know what happens if you switch the homepage protection back on and I don't intend to find out.

3 comments:

Drizzle Kid said...

Something like that would have driven me crazy. I would never have thought of the anti virus programs I would just have gone mental. Then maybe again my philosophy of "I don't car how it works as long as it works smoothly" is not the best one to have when approaching technology...

Shey said...

@Drizzle Kid - That's why I posted this article. I did the legwork and it took about an hour of "power googling" to find anything on it. And even then it was obscurely mentioned!

Hopefully people will have an easier time of fixing this issue.

Anonymous said...

good